Factors such as pregnancy, nursing, and the force of gravity can change a woman’s breasts. Many women seek mastopexy, or breast lift surgery because pregnancy and nursing have left them with stretched skin and less volume in their breasts.
As the skin loses its elasticity, the breasts often lose their shape and firmness and begin to sag. In these cases, board-certified plastic surgeons Dr. Philip Kierney and Dr. Lynn Chung can perform a breast lift in Tacoma to restore more aesthetic breast contours.
What Is a Breast Lift?
A breast lift can enhance your appearance and your self-image in Tacoma. This surgical procedure is designed to raise and reshape sagging breasts—-at least, for a time. (No surgery can permanently delay the effects of gravity.)
Mastopexy can also reduce the size of the areola, which is the darker skin surrounding the nipple. If your breasts are small and have lost volume—-for example, after pregnancy, a breast lift with implants may be recommended. With this combination procedure, breast implants are inserted during mastopexy to increase firmness and size.
Are You a Good Candidate?
The best candidates for mastopexy are healthy, emotionally stable women who are realistic about what this operation can accomplish. You may be a good candidate for a breast lift:
- If you have sagging breasts due to past pregnancies, genetics, or aging.
- If the sagging is too great to be treated with an implant alone.
- If your nipple-areola (pigmented areas around nipples) are enlarged.
- An elevated, more youthful breast contour.
- Nipple-areola reduced in size and repositioned at the correct height and position.
Breast Lift Procedure Description
- The procedure is done on an outpatient basis under general anesthesia.
- The design of incisions can vary but usually include incisions around the nipple-areola and in the crease under the breast.
- The insertion of an implant as well, may or may not be advisable.
Breast Lift Recovery and Healing
- A soft “tube-top” netting is used instead of a bra for 10 to 14 days.
- Sutures are usually absorbable and dissolve on their own.
- Initial discomfort is readily controlled with oral medication.
- Light activities may be started at 7 to 10 days.
Other Breast Enhancement Options
- Additional procedures, which may enhance the result, are a small breast reduction or breast enlargement.
I just want to tell you what a fabulous office you have! All of the staff is so friendly – the nurses, reception, anesthesia, book keeping- every visit I have is a positive. I want to thank you personally for the wonderful work you’ve done for me. Thanks so much!
Cost and Insurance Guidelines
- The price of your breast lift surgery will be reviewed with you during your consultation in our Tacoma office. This procedure is considered cosmetic and is not covered by insurance. The patient is responsible for the full payment.
- The specific risk and suitability of the procedure for a given individual can be determined only at the time of consultation. All surgical procedures have some degree of risk. Minor complications that do not affect the outcome occur occasionally. Major complications are unusual. Such possible complications are best reviewed with your plastic surgeon prior to surgery.
Schedule a Consultation for a Breast Lift in Tacoma
A breast lift can transform your physique and restore self-confidence, so you can feel and look your absolute best. If you are unhappy with the appearance of your breasts due to drooping and/or volume loss, contact us to schedule a consultation.
Related Blog Posts
Breast Enhancement Tacoma
Breast Enhancement is a popular cosmetic surgery procedure that is performed to enhance the size of the breasts. Many women feel unhappy about the size of their breasts either because they feel their breasts have always been…Read More
Reduction Mammoplasty Aids Those with Oversized Breasts
Reduction mammoplasty is a procedure in which a volumetric reduction of the breast is carried out. The process improves the nipple-areola complex and helps improve the shape of the breast. The surgery is performed to…Read More