Reconstruction of the breast following removal (mastectomy) can frequently result in enhanced physical appearance for women diagnosed with breast cancer. Surgical restoration of a breast can improve a woman’s sense of femininity and her self-image following mastectomy.
The breast which has been removed is replaced by either a permanent implant or a woman’s own skin, fat, and muscle — most typically from the abdomen (TRAM flap). More than one operation is usually required to complete breast reconstruction, the first one performed either on the day of the mastectomy or at an appropriate later date. Frequently the nipple can also be reconstructed. The healthy opposite breast often requires surgery in order to more completely achieve an even balanced physical appearance and symmetry.
Because the post-mastectomy breast reconstruction options available to women are frequently complex and difficult to decipher, discussion with your plastic surgeon is encouraged. Such consultation can result in a better understanding of these operations and their beneficial influence and impact on breast cancer patients’ lives.
Are You a Good Candidate?
- If you are going to have either one or both breasts removed (mastectomy) for cancer treatment.
- If you have already had one or both breasts removed for cancer treatment.
- If your general medical health is good.
- Re-creation of a breast in order to improve physical appearance while dressed.
- Improved self-image and sense of femininity.
- Placement of temporary skin expander followed by a permanent implant.
- Transfer of skin/fat/muscle from another site on the body (i.e., abdomen) to the chest with the shaping of breast.
- Creation of nipple and areola.
- Reduction/enlargement of opposite healthy breasts to enhance appearance and symmetry.
Recuperation and Healing
- Varies depending on the operation — several days to several months.
- May need to temporarily restrict physical activities during the healing period.
I am only 7 days post-op for a breast lift, capsular contracture repair, and implant deflate exchanging and going a little larger saline implants, I was very nervous because I didn’t love my first implants done only 7 years ago that had so many problems but Dr. Kierney has changed my life in just 7 days my results have been good and his staff was so sweet and kind I can’t say enough good things I have perfect big round perky breasts after 3 babies!!!!
- No breast reconstruction.
- Combined implant and skin/fat/muscle reconstruction.
- Reduction of opposite healthy breasts.
- Enlargement of the healthy opposite breast.
Breast Reconstruction Cost
The cost of a breast reconstruction in Tacoma varies because it is a highly individualized surgery tailored for each patient. The overall price may include anesthesia, operating room facilities, and other related expenses. Additional tests and imaging may also add to your total. Contact us for additional information.
- Most insurance companies provide breast reconstruction benefits when cancer has been diagnosed.
- In Washington state, it is law that insurance must provide coverage for breast reconstruction following mastectomy.
- The specific risk and suitability of the procedure for a given woman can be determined only at the time of consultation. All surgical procedures have some degree of risk. Minor complications that do not affect the outcome occur occasionally. Major complications are unusual. Such possible complications are best reviewed with your plastic surgeon prior to surgery.
- No photographs are currently available for this procedure.
You may also be interested in:
Breast Augmentation, Breast Reduction, Breast Lift, Liposuction, Tummy Tuck, Face Lift
Schedule a Consultation
Schedule your consultation for a Breast Reconstruction in Tacoma – contact Doctors Phillip Kierney and C.J. Lynn Chung and set up your appointment. During your appointment, you will be able to ask questions and bring up any concerns you may have about the procedure. Contact us today to get the look you’ve always wanted!
Related Blog Posts
Breast Enhancement Tacoma
Breast Enhancement is a popular cosmetic surgery procedure that is performed to enhance the size of the breasts. Many women feel unhappy about the size of their breasts either because they feel their breasts have always been… Read More