A variety of medical problems can be caused by the weight of large pendulous breasts. Women with excessively large and heavy breasts may experience back, neck, or shoulder pain as well as skin irritation, skeletal deformities, and breathing problems. Bra straps can create deep shoulder grooves or indentations. Such large-sized breasts can make a woman – or a teen-age girl – feel extremely self-conscious.
Breast reduction, known as reduction mammoplasty, is a procedure during which glandular tissue, fat, and skin are removed making the breast smaller, lighter, and firmer. The breast is lifted and the dark areola skin around the nipple is reduced in size. The goal is not only to reduce symptoms caused by heavy breasts but also to provide women with smaller, better-shaped breasts which are more proportionately balanced with their bodies.
I just wanted to take a minute to say thank you again for the excellent care I received from you. It’s been about 8 months since my surgery and I feel so much better – no more back or neck pain. I thank you every single day.
Having breast reduction surgery made such an improvement in my quality of life – I can’t thank you enough!
Are You a Good Candidate?
- If you have large, heavy breasts, which may be the cause of breathing difficulties, back, shoulder, and neck pain, poor posture, bra-strap indentations, and chafing under the breasts.
- If your large breasts interfere with normal daily activities or exercise.
- If you have excessive breast size, which may decrease a sense of attractiveness and self-image.
- Reduction of symptoms related to the weight of large heavy breasts.
- Freedom from health problems associated with excessively large breasts.
- More attractive contour and smaller breast size.
- Improved self-image.
- The procedure is performed on an outpatient basis under general anesthesia.
- Incisions are made around the pigmented region of the breast (the “nipple-areolar complex”) and usually extend vertically below the nipple and along the fold under the breast. The nipple – areolar complex is moved upward to the desired location and excess breast tissue, fat, and skin are removed.
Recuperation and Healing
- The incisions are covered with light dressings, and the breasts are placed in netting for 2 weeks. The bra supports the breasts during the initial healing.
- Initial discomfort subsides daily and can be controlled with oral medication.
- Scars will usually fade in about 6-12 months.
- Surgery may reduce and possibly eliminate the ability to breast-feed.
- An additional procedure that can enhance the result is Liposuction of the axilla (armpit) area to reduce excess fat deposits.
How Much Does Breast Reduction Cost
- The cost of breast reduction surgery varies from patient to patient depending on their individual needs. We’ll discuss your goals and analyze the breasts with respect to the contours of your body to develop a unique surgical plan that’s tailored to you. Once we have decided on the appropriate technique and the amount of correction needed, we’ll then discuss the cost you can expect to pay.
- This procedure is often covered by insurance though insurance criteria is becoming more and more restrictive. Our staff will assist you in obtaining preauthorization.
- The specific risk and suitability of the procedure for a given woman can be determined only at the time of consultation. All surgical procedures have some degree of risk. Minor complications that do not affect the outcome occur occasionally. Major complications are unusual. Such possible complications are best reviewed with your plastic surgeon prior to surgery.
Contact Our Office
If you’re interested in learning more about breast reduction, our skilled team is ready to help you. We proudly provide exceptional plastic surgery services to the people of Puyallup, WA, and the surrounding area. Contact our office to schedule your consultation today.
Related Blog Posts